Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Flycatcher Sounds

Occasionally, hearing a bird can make all the difference when it comes to making an identification. This is especially true for Flycatchers. A while ago, after visiting SE Arizona, I promised a sound file for Dusky-capped Flycatcher, a Myiarchus flycatcher that looks similar to the other members in the group. Since Ash-throated and Brown-crested Flycatcher also occur in SE Arizona, a picture wouldn't cut it. Luckily, the bird was very vocal.

Dusky-capped Flycatcher
Here is a recording of the bird:

Another bird I photographed recently is Gray Flycatcher. They are somewhat uncommon where we do bird surveys, but one has set up territory in one of the canyons right where we camp. Dusky Flycatcher also occurs and is common here in the Great Basin, but they sound quite different.

Gray Flycatcher
Here is a recording of the Gray Flycatcher:

This past weekend, while in California, I photographed a Pacific-slope Flycatcher. We were in Los Angeles where the very similar Cordilleran Flycatcher does not exsit. I still took a voice recording of the Pacific-slope since it was so cooperative.

Pacific-slope Flycatcher
Here is the bird calling:


I still haven't been able to photograph a Dusky Flycatcher that I can also get a voice recording of, but I'll be working on that. It feels good to have a few of these tougher species out of the way!

2 comments:

  1. Dave, I really like the way that you set the blog entry up. However, even with my volume fully turned up the vocalizations are somewhat hard to hear. Still an excellent post. What device did you use to record the vocalizations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, these are all low quality recordings from an iPhone. Wish I had better equipment for recording. They really are just to supplement the pictures.

    ReplyDelete