Sunday, July 28, 2013

Prairie Falcon Fun


Well, it finally happened. I was getting worried, but on 7/25 I finally photographed a Prairie Falcon. We were camping in Bodie Canyon. On the last butterfly survey round, I saw a Prairie Falcon in here but it was as I was driving and it was flying away from me. No chance for a photo.

This time, as I was sitting around our camp, drinking a beer and playing some Tower Defense on my iPhone, I heard a Prairie Falcon sounding off just up the canyon. Seconds later I was in hot pursuit. It didn’t take long to find it, but it flew around the corner of the canyon out of sight. Did it land? I rounded the corner and it made a pass right overhead. I rattled off pictures and let off a sigh of relief. It was great watching this bird soar around the top of the steep, rocky canyon, right where they belong.

Prairie Falcon
Only a short 5 days until my next pelagic trip out of Monterey. I can’t wait to get back on the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment