Tuesday, April 9, 2013

St. Marks Migrants

This past Sunday I birded St. Marks and found a healthy amount of activity at Tower Pond. Around 18 species of shorebirds were fun to pick through, and resting with them were terns. Once in a while, the terns would pick up and fly right by. I was able to snag pictures of Caspian and Gull-billed, both new for the year.

Caspian Tern

Gull-billed Tern
Along the main road were hoards of swallows. While most were Tree and Barn, I also saw Cliff and Bank. The Cliff was too far out to photograph, and I just barely managed to get a picture of the Bank. I finally got around to photographing a Barn Swallow too.

Barn Swallow

Bank Swallow
Great Crested Flycatchers are back in full force, and have been for a while. I caught this one calling along the tower trail from atop a post.

Great Crested Flycatcher
I didn't go prepared to spend all day as I was pretty beat from the long day on Saturday. It was great seeing more migrants making their way back.

At Tall Timbers, most of the breeders are back on territory. Yellow-billed Cuckoos are calling (and I even got a picture of one with a stick in its bill), Summer Tanagers are around, I heard my first Blue Grosbeak today (although Matt has had one for a few days), and Eastern Wood-Pewee are also back in small numbers. I'll get around to posting a Cuckoo picture when I get it off my camera.

Also, my good friend Andy Bankert is coming to visit for a while, starting tomorrow. We have some BIG plans for this weekend, so check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment