Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The First 50

Yesterday saw my big year reach the 50 birds photographed mark. Not that this is an impressive number, but for Michigan in winter, it isn't too bad.

I birded Rose Lake area where a local birder has an Evening Grosbeak coming to his feeder. Apparently the bird only comes once in a while, so while waiting I had fun photographing a few other species. My first Purple Finches of the year were coming to their feeders.

Purple Finch (female/1st year male type)

A Hairy Woodpecker enjoyed some suet after chasing away a Downy.

Hairy Woodpecker

And finally, the Evening Grosbeak dropped by for a few minutes.

Evening Grosbeak (female)

There were reports of Bohemian Waxwings in the area, so I looked for them also. I had a nice flock at Burke Lake that only stuck around for a few minutes. There were probably at least a dozen birds. I then drove around and found a big waxwing flock on the corner of Stoll Road and Peacock Road, just west of the intersection, on Stoll Road. There were at least 40 Cedar Waxwings with a few Bohemian Waxwings mixed in. There are a lot of berries here and it wouldn't surprise me if they stick around for a while.

One of the Bohemian Waxwings

What to do next? I could go over to Muskegon and target a few birds over there. I could go to Berrien and look for the Townsend's Solitaire. I could head east to Lake Erie Metropark for ducks. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Go see the Townsend's Solitaire. While we were there, it treated us to its whisper song. Such a sweet sound!!

    Cindi Martineau

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindi, I hope to get down to Berrien this weekend! No work and plenty of time to bird.

    ReplyDelete