Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Tickin' the Easy Ones

The easy ones count too, right? I didn't have much time to bird today, but did get out around residential Lansing. Believe it or not, Lansing does have a few birds in the winter, just nothing like Texas or Florida. And these few species need to be photographed.

White-breasted Nuthatch

I started at Fenner Nature Center where I got better pictures than yesterday of a White-breasted Nuthatch (above). The place was essentially dead. I managed to find one Northern Cardinal that posed, but a bit further away than I would have liked.

Northern Cardinal

Frustrated with the lack of birds, I moved to the Mt. Hope Cemetery hoping for Crossbills, or anything really. I finally found a flock of birds that contained Downy Woodpecker, Red-breasted Nuthatch, American Goldfinches, Eastern Bluebirds and Cedar Waxwings! So I got to shooting.

Cedar Waxwing
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Eastern Bluebird
Downy Woodpecker
American Goldfinch

My last stop was along the river at Potter Park Zoo where I poorly photographed an American Crow. I'll do better eventually.

American Crow

It is becoming obvious that photographing 500 birds in one year is going to be a serious challenge. Right now it is slim pickings around Lansing. I'm leaving bright and early for the Upper Peninsula which promises to be more interesting. In a few weeks I will be in Florida. That when the getting will be really, really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment